Oradell in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
At this site stood Oradell's first diner, a legendary local hangout for working men and women that was owned and operated by the Hagler Family for approximately 85 years.
Erected in 1928, the diner was a brick building that resembled a dining-car. It replaced an open air lunch wagon the Haglers had operated across Ridgewood Road since 1925. An adjoining tavern and dining room were added in 1937, four years after the repeal of prohibition. The building was remodeled in 2001 and reopened as Felice's Restaurant until closing in 2013.
John Hagler, the original owner and avid hunter, was prohibited by law from selling game in his establishment. However, each year after the hunt, he would invite citizens and families of Oradell to share his venison stew for free, making it an annual Oradell tradition. Hagler's was also renowned for roast beef and its Thursday night specialty, corned beef and cabbage. Hagler's Diner was truly an iconic part of Oradell history.
Erected 2016 by Oradell Historical Committee.
Location. 40° 56.998′ N, 74° 1.954′ W. Marker is in Oradell, New Jersey, in Bergen Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 279 Kinderkamack Road, Oradell NJ 07649, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richard T. Cooper House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oradell Veterans Memorial (approx. ľ mile away); Oradell World War II Memorial (approx. ľ mile away); Oradell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Van Buskirk-Oakley House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Soldier Hill (approx. ĺ mile away); Demarest-Bloomer House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jacobus Demarest Homestead (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oradell.
Regarding Haglerís Diner. A bank now occupies the former site of Hagler's Diner
Also see . . . Hagler's Historic Marker on he Borough of Oradell website. Unveiling of Hagler's Historic Marker, the first official Borough of Oradell Historical Marker. (Submitted on September 13, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.