Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
African Baptist Church of Fredericksburg
The African Baptists initially had a white pastor because Virginia law prohibited blacks from meeting without a white person present. Following the Civil War, the congregation adopted the name Shiloh Baptist Church and George L. Dixon, a slave who had purchased his freedom in 1856, became the first black pastor.
In 1886, a portion of the structure collapsed, a result of periodic flooding. Church members disagreed on where to rebuild and eventually divided into two congregations. In 1890, Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site) rose where the original church had stood. Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site) established itself on Princess Anne and Wolfe Streets.
Erected by City of Fredericksburg.
Location. 38° 18.124′ N, 77° 27.445′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Sophia Street and Hanover Street on Sophia Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site) (here, next to this marker); Odd Fellows Lodge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ferries and Flats (about 500 feet away); Fredericksburg (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Fredericksburg (about 500 feet away); Corporation Court House (about 700 feet away); The Courthouse (about 700 feet away); A Vast Hospital (about 700 feet away); The “Demon of Destruction” (about 700 feet away); War Comes to Fredericksburg (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . . African American History of Fredericksburg, Virginia. (Submitted on June 6, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,312 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 5, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on February 13, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on June 5, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.