Waveland in Hancock County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The “Pirate House”
According to local tradition, the "Pirate House," located here, was built as early as 1802 and was frequented by famed pirate Jean Lafitte and his associates. Later remodeled as a Greek Revival structure, the house is believed to have a secret tunnel. The house was damaged beyond repair during Hurricane Camille in 1969.
Erected 2004 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 30° 17.438′ N, 89° 21.258′ W. Marker is in Waveland, Mississippi, in Hancock County. Marker is on North Beach Boulevard 0.2 miles south of Whispering Pines Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 645 North Beach Boulevard, Waveland MS 39576, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pearl Rivers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hurricane Katrina (approx. 1.2 miles away); From the People of Waveland (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Spanish Customs House (approx. 1½ miles away); 100 Men D.B.A. Hall St. Stanislaus College (approx. 1.9 miles away); Our Lady of the Gulf (approx. 2 miles away); St. Joseph's Academy (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waveland.
Categories. • Architecture • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 18, 2017.