Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Charles Vernon Terrell
(May 2, 1861 - November 17, 1959)
Appointed in 1924 to the Texas Railroad Commission (chairman 2 terms), he served during landmark years when Texas was catapulted into role of a major world energy supplier. Through regulation of oil and gas shipping, the Railroad Commission became the agency for making production rules. When East Texas in the 1930s began to produce oil in volumes such as the world had never known, and the state invoked martial law to quell strife there, Commissioner Terrell and associates pioneered in conservation without the sacrifice of industrial leadership.
After his retirement in 1939, his native county had an oil discovery at Park Springs, in 1942. The Chico field came in with larger yields in 1947.
C. V and Etta (May) Terrell were parents of Tully Vernon, John Preston, and Margaret (Mrs. F.T. Ward). (1972)
Erected 1972. (Marker Number 822.)
Location. 33° 14.066′ N, 97° 35.202′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is on North Trinity Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 N. Trinity Street, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Randolph Vesey (here, next to this marker); Captain George W. Stevens (here, next to this marker); Wise County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Wise County C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Absalom Bishop (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Messenger (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Stone Prison (about 500 feet away); First National Bank of Decatur (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 19, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Higher resolution photo of the marker. • Can you help?