Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Houston Hitching Block
The concrete hitching block was used in the early carriage days to tie horses and was used by ladies to mount riding horses.
It represents a rare example of horse and buggy days in Tarrant County.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
Location. 32° 44.486′ N, 97° 6.34′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Mesquite Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington TX 76010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carver Dixon King (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 0.2 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack (approx. 2.2 miles away); Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain (approx. 2.2 miles away); Jesse Chisholm (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of Bird's Fort (approx. 3.2 miles away); Sloan-Journey Expedition of 1838 (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.