Reuben L. Partridge
“The Bridge Builder of Union County”
Mural by Curtis W. M. Goldsein, born 1966, Columbus, Ohio
Reuben L. Partridge (1823- 1900) designed and constructed hundreds of bridges in Central Ohio, many of which are in Union County. Mr. Partridge received a United States Patent for the “Partridge Truss” which was a unique covered bridge engineering feature. Four of his original covered bridges, constructed in the 1870s and 1880s still remain in Union County: Bigelow (1873), Culbertson (1872), Pottersburg (1872), and Spain Creek (1883).
Mr. Partridge also served as vice president of the Columbus Bridge Company and was responsible for the constructing the Bergstresser/Dietz Covered Bridge in 1887, located in southeast Franklin County. At age 77, Mr. Partridge was overseeing the removal of an old wooden bridge across Blues Creek in Taylor Township when a girder broke loose and Partridge stepped back out of the way, falling between the joists of the structure. As a result of his injuries he died on July 17, 1900.
The mural before you shows a portrait of Mr. Partridge in the middle of the wall, with his signature, tools, and blueprints to the left of a covered bridge that is reminiscent of the Partridge designed Reed Covered Bridge built in 1884 that collapsed in 1993. The mural also depicts an O. M. Scott buggy exiting the bridge. The O. M. Scott Company
The mural was made possible by through the generous donations of the Dayton Power and Light Foundation, Hatfield Chiropractic Clinic, McAuliffe’s Ace Hardware, Sherwin Williams Paint Company, Scott and Holly Underwood, and the Union County Chamber of Commerce. Assistance was provided by the Union County pARTnership, Marysville Uptown Renewal Team, City of Marysville, and the Union County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Erected 2010 by the Dayton Power and Light Foundation, Hatfield Chiropractic Clinic, McAuliffe’s Ace Hardware, Sherwin Williams Paint Company, Scott and Holly Underwood, and the Union County Chamber of Commerce. Assistance was provided by the Union County pARTnership, Marysville Uptown Renewal Team, City of Marysville, and the Union County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Location. 40° 14.245′ N, 83° 22.002′ W. Marker is in Marysville, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of North
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General Robert Sprague Beightler (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union County, Ohio / Union County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Union County Veterans Monument (about 700 feet away); Cyprian Lee House / Colonel Noah Orr, “Union County Giant” (about 800 feet away); The Oldest Brick House in Marysville (about 800 feet away); The Civil War Cannons (approx. 0.2 miles away); Virginia Military District (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Legion Memorial Park (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marysville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 4, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.