Captain F.B. Severs erected the original Severs Block Building, with its historic Gothic entrance at Main Street and Broadway, in 1890 to house the newly organized First National Bank of Muskogee, Indian Territory.
Between 1901 and 1903 the Building was extended along Broadway to Second Street, allowing space for retail, professional and at one time, one of the busiest Cotton exchanges in the United States.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
"Prepared in cooperation with The Historic Preservation Commission of Muskogee, Oklahoma, December 1989."
Location. 35° 44.923′ N, 95° 22.168′ W. Marker is in Muskogee, Oklahoma, in Muskogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101-113 West Broadway, Muskogee OK 74401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Midland Valley Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Hitching Post Stone (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas-Foreman House (approx. one mile away); State's Earliest Oil Refinery (approx. 2.3 miles
Regarding Severs Block. Building contributes to the National Register's Pre-Statehood Commercial District of Muskogee.
Also see . . . Pre-Statehood Commercial District of Muskogee National Register Nomination. (Submitted on October 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.