Burton in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of St. Paul-Rehburg School
Complaints by students that the new schoolhouse was too far from their homes prompted the County Commissioners to construct a new school building nearer the center of the school district in 1914 on land donated by Henry and Wilhelmine Kiel. A third room was added to this structure in 1936 after another local school, called Eberhardt, merged with the St. Paul-Rehburg School. Although the building burned in 1938, it was replaced with a new three-room structure the following year. In 1942 St. Paul-Rehburg provided instruction by three teachers for students through the tenth grade. The school merged with the Burton School District in 1945 and eventually closed in 1946. The school building, used by the St. Paul Lutheran Church for 15 years, was razed in 1962.
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8388.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burton TX 77835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gideon Lincecum (approx. 3.9 miles away); Burton Community (approx. 4 miles away); Burton Farmers Gin (approx. 4.1 miles away); Burton Farmers Gin 1914 (approx. 4.1 miles away); Glenblythe Plantation, Home of Thomas Affleck (approx. 6.4 miles away); Waul's Texas Legion Campsite (approx. 6½ miles away); Thomas Affleck (approx. 7.3 miles away); La Bahia Road (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
Also see . . . Rehburg Settlement, Texas, article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on October 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.