Camden in Benton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
An early post office of this name was opened Sept. 28, 1835, in the home of William H.H. Burton, which stood at this site. It remained here until Aug. 27, 1837, when it was moved to the public square of Camden and the name changed to "Camden." Samuel H. Burton was the first postmaster. In this Burton home, Benton County was organized Feb. 7, 1836, and the County Court met here until the Courthouse was built.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4A 30.)
Location. 36° 3.5′ N, 88° 6.663′ W. Marker is in Camden, Tennessee, in Benton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Westview Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden TN 38320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Irish CSA Soldiers (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); David Benton (approx. 0.8 miles away); Senator Mildred Jolly Lashlee (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mary Cordelia Beasley-Hudson (approx. 0.8 miles away); Thomas Clark Rye (approx. Gunboats and Cavalry (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fighting on the Tennessee River (approx. 7 miles away); Hollowrock Church (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.