Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
London Borough of Camden in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
 

Museum Tavern

 
 
Museum Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2017
1. Museum Tavern Marker
Inscription. The earliest record of the Museum Tavern was in 1723, although at that stage it was called "The Dog and Duck" after the hunting that took place in the surrounding Ponds and swamps. In 1759 the British Museum was established and the pub promptly adopted its current name. Taking advantage of the rebuilding of Museum Street, in 1855 the tavern was expanded to its present size. The bar and backfittings were added in 1889, and are still used today. The pub retains many other original features, including mirrors and windows, and continues to offer food and drink to weary travellers.
 
Location. 51° 31.093′ N, 0° 7.56′ W. Marker is in London Borough of Camden, England, in Greater London County. Marker is at the intersection of Great Russell Street and Museum Street, on the right when traveling east on Great Russell Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 49 Great Russell Street, London Borough of Camden, England WC1B 3BA, United Kingdom.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Randolph Caldecott (within shouting distance of this marker); The Plough (within shouting distance of this marker); Bertrand Russell (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Henry Wyatt
Museum Tavern Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2017
2. Museum Tavern Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible here, mounted just to the right of the entrance.
(about 150 meters away); Topham and Lady Diana Beauclerk (about 180 meters away); Lord Eldon (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Charles Kitterbell (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Sir Hans Sloane (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in London Borough of Camden.
 
Also see . . .  The Museum Tavern in Bloomsbury (Greene King Pubs). "The Museum Tavern was expanded in 1855 and much of what you see today dates from then or a little later. Despite the removal of partitions that divided Victorian drinkers, many original features remain, like much of the carved wooden fittings, etched and cut glass outer windows and some coloured leaded-glass detail. The pub is the proud work of architect William Finch Hill and is probably his only surviving work, save for the recently reopened Hat & Feathers in Clerkenwell. Hill was well known for his music hall designs but alas these seem to have all gone....In the early eighteenth century a pub called the Dog & Duck stood there. Its name reflecting the hunting that took place on the surrounding swamps and ponds. The British Museum was built in the 1760's
Museum Tavern - Interior image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2017
3. Museum Tavern - Interior
and the pub changed its name to suit. Past customers include, J.B. Priestley, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Karl Marx." (Submitted on October 26, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement