Highgate in Franklin County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Highgate Falls Lenticular Truss Bridge
Built in 1887 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Co., this structure is one of the few surviving examples of a bridge type popular in the 1880s and 1890s. The parabolic or lenticular truss, developed by William Douglas of Binghamton, NY, used less metal than conventional trusses without sacrificing strength. The lower cost and distinctive shape contributed to its success. With Charles Jarvis, Douglas helped make the Berlin Iron Bridge Co. New England's most important structural iron and steel fabricator during the late 19th century. The firm developed standardized parts fabricated in the shop and shipped partially assembled. The ornamental plaque and cresting were distinguishing features for the company. The main span is 215' and the pony truss approach 80'.
Erected 2002 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 56.015′ N, 73° 2.909′ W. Marker is in Highgate, Vermont, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Highgate Road (Vermont Route 207) and Baker Road, on the right when traveling north on Highgate Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highgate Center VT 05459, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies Missisquoi Village and Mission (approx. 3½ miles away); Saxe's Mills (approx. 4.3 miles away); Fenian Raids (approx. 5.3 miles away); Colonel Elisha Sheldon (approx. 6 miles away); Sheldon, Vermont (approx. 6.3 miles away); Camp Holbrook (approx. 7.3 miles away); St. Albans Raid (approx. 8.6 miles away); Battle of Eccles Hill (approx. 9.2 miles away in Canada).
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.