1890 • Shelburne, Vermont • Moved to Museum: 1959
Built in 1890 by Rutland Railroad President Dr. William Seward Webb (1851-1926), the Railroad Station was originally located near the center of Shelburne to serve passengers of the Central Vermont and Rutland Railroads. Designed by architect Robert Henderson Robertson (1849-1919), the structure features overhanging eaves supported by brackets and hipped and curved roofs, flared walls, and eyebrow windows.
After passenger rail service was discontinued to Shelburne in 1953, Dr. Webb's son Vanderbilt Webb and son-in-law, Cyril Jones, gave the building to the Museum.
The exhibit features the stationmaster's office, waiting rooms, telegraphy systems, maps, and railroad memorabilia.
Erected by the Shelburne Museum.
Location. 44° 22.474′ N, 73° 14.012′ W. Marker is in Shelburne, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Touch for map. Marker and building are on the Shelburne Museum grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6000 Shelburne Road (US Hwy 7), Shelburne VT 05482, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Locomotive 220 (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Locomotive 220 (a few steps from this marker); Rail Car Grand Isle
Also see . . . Railroad Station and Freight Shed. (Submitted on October 30, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 30, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.