Claremont in Sullivan County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Located easterly on Old Church Road, this wood-frame structure, built 1771–1773, is the oldest standing Episcopal church in the State, serving the second oldest parish. The parish began in 1768 as a mission of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. The first rector was Reverend Ranna Cossitt (1773–1785).
Erected by New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. (Marker Number 057.)
Location. 43° 23.189′ N, 72° 23.346′ W. Marker is in Claremont, New Hampshire, in Sullivan County. Marker is at the intersection of Jarvis Hill Road (New Hampshire Route 12A) and Half Mile Road, on the right when traveling south on Jarvis Hill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Claremont NH 03743, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Roman Catholic Church (approx. ¾ mile away); William Jarvis (approx. 2.4 miles away in Vermont); Historic Handshake (approx. 2.4 miles away); Salmon Portland Chase (approx. 4.8 miles away); North Charlestown Village (approx. 5.6 miles away); Salmond Bridge Cornish-Windsor Bridge (approx. 6 miles away); Bomber Crash on Hawks Mountain / Crew of B-29A #44-62228 Crashed Perkinsville, Vermont 15 June 1947 (approx. 6½ miles away in Vermont). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Claremont.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 30, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.