First Ferry in Kentucky / Col. Richard Callaway
First Ferry in Kentucky
License for first ferry established in state, Oct. 1779, was granted to Col. Richard Callaway by the Virginia legislature. The fare for a man or a horse was three shillings (50 cents). The ferry operated until 1931, when the present bridge was constructed. Its last owner was Colonel David J. Williams. Ferry road remains nearby. Presented by Society of Boonesborough.
Col. Richard Callaway
Born in Caroline County, Virginia, in June, 1722, Richard Callaway served in French and Indian wars and as a colonel in Revolutionary War. He was a member of Virginia House of Burgesses and one of the first settlers of Boonesborough. Callaway was killed by Indians, Mar. 8, 1780, while building this ferry. He is buried near here. Presented by Society of Boonesborough.
Erected 2014 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1578.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kansas Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 53.816′ N, 84° 16.049′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Kentucky, in Madison County. Marker is on Boonesboro Road (Kentucky Route 388), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Richard Callaway / First Ferry in Kentucky (a few steps from this marker); Nathaniel Hart / Home of Capt. Nathaniel Hart (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Boonesborough (about 500 feet away); The Fort Boonesborough Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Defending the Kentucky River (approx. 0.6 miles away); Three Confederate Raids (approx. 0.6 miles away); Roads in the Wilderness (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Long, Steep Road (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Richard Callaway. (Submitted on November 5, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 5, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.