Brooklet in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
When the Savannah & Statesboro Railway was completed in 1899, some of the stations along the track began to grow into villages. One of these was Stilson, named for Stilson Hutchinson who was instrumental in getting the Railway to pass through this area. The first postmaster was William Strickland in 1899 and the last was Edith Hutchinson in 1966. In 1900, Stilson had a population of 138. Businesses in 1909 traded in naval stores, melons, cotton, timber and turpentine. The town was surrounded by prosperous farmers.
Dr. Frank Forest Floyd was the first doctor in Stilson. When he moved to Statesboro, Dr. Dan L. Deal began his practice in 1910. In 1901 the new town built a two story school called Stilson Academy. The advertisement announcing the school read, “All Branches Taught. Board moderate. Tuition reasonable.” Professor Ingraham was the first teacher. In 1952, Stilson High School won both the Boys and Girls State Basketball Championships
With the demise of the railroad and the growth of
Notables from Stilson are Bette Beasley Anderson, Under Secretary of the Treasury; B. Avant Edenfield, Senior Judge U.S. Court Southern District; and Faye Sanders Martin, first woman Chief Judge Superior Courts, Ogeechee Judicial Circuit
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
Location. Marker has been damaged. 32° 19.517′ N, 81° 33.02′ W. Marker is in Brooklet, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 119C Connector Road and Stilson Road (County Route 574), on the left when traveling east on State Route 119C. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brooklet GA 30415, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. John Abbot 1751 - 1840 (approx. 3 miles away); John Abbot (1751-1839) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old River Road (approx. 5.4 miles away); Brooklet, Georgia (approx. 7.6 miles away); Upper Black Creek Church Upper Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A. (approx. 8.4 miles away); Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brooklet.
More about this marker. The marker stands at the Stilson Community Center.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 6, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.