Upper Marlboro in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The History of Watkins Regional Park
The land on which Watkins Regional Park now sits was once part of a. large estate owned by the Belt family, dating back to the 1600's. The main crop at the Belt Farm was tobacco, although a portion of the farm was also kept wooded. The last Belt family member to live on the property was William Seton Belt.
After Mr. Belt died in 1959, The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission purchased a portion of the property in order to preserve the land and create a regional park. Two parcels totaling 437 acres were originally bought from the William Seton Belt estate.
Since 1991, M-NCPPC has purchased ten additional parcels totaling 427 acres, almost doubling the park's size. Watkins Regional Park offers many recreational amenities
Location. 38° 53.392′ N, 76° 47.237′ W. Marker is in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Old Enterprise Road. Touch for map. This marker is at the beginning/end of the Loop Trail in Watkins Regional Park. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20774, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Chesapeake Carousel (approx. 0.4 miles away); “Mount Lubentia” (approx. 1½ miles away); St. Barnabas' Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Weary Warriors (approx. 1.8 miles away); Archaeology at the Brick Quarters (approx. 1.8 miles away); Seeking Freedom Northampton Slave Quarters and Archaeological Park (approx. 1.8 miles away); Archaeology at the Frame Quarters (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.