Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shreveport in Caddo Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA

 
 
Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 4, 2017
1. Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA Marker
Side 1A
Inscription. Gas was first discovered in Caddo Parish in 1870 in a water well drilled for an ice plant located between Market and Edwards Streets in Shreveport. First leasing activity for oil was begun in 1904 by Judge S.C. Fullilove, D.C. Richardson and I.G. Hedrick. The Texas company, operating through an affiliate, Producers Oil Company, began exploration in Caddo in February 1905 and is credited with the first large oil wells. The first marine oil well in the United States was completed in Caddo Lake by the Gulf Refining Company in May, 1911. The earliest "manufacturing plant" in Caddo Parish was located at Gas Center near Shreveport, where the Purified Petroleum Products Company of Louisiana Ltd. began a patented process of treating gasoline and kerosene. This company developed into the Louisiana Oil Refining Company, Inc. in October, 1913. Earliest oil pipe line in this area was completed by Standard Oil Company of Louisiana to its Baton Rouge refinery in 1910.
 
Erected 1955 by Oil and Gas Committee of Shreveport / Chamber of Commerce / Oil Industry Information Committee.
 
Location. 32° 28.722′ N, 93° 47.284′ W. Marker is in Shreveport, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish. Marker can be reached from Pershing Boulevard 0.1 miles
Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 4, 2017
2. Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA Marker
Side 1B
Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA
Caddo Lake Oil and Pipeline Company No. 1 Offenhauser
Located 694 ft. south and 629 ft. west from center of Sec 1 Twp 20N RNG 16W. Near Oil City completed March 28, 1905 at total depth 1556 ft. Drilled by Savage Bros. and Morrical. Drillers Jack Garrett and Walter D. George.
west of Grosjean Street. Touch for map. Located on the Louisiana State Fairgrounds. Marker is in this post office area: Shreveport LA 71109, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Justin Gras (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Last Confederate Flag (approx. 3.2 miles away); Caddo Parish Courthouse (approx. 3.2 miles away); Central Station (approx. 3.2 miles away); Hutchinson Building (approx. 3.2 miles away); Shreve Memorial Library (approx. 3.3 miles away); CNB Building (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shreveport.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 4, 2017
3. Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA Marker
Side 1C
This monument has been erected as a tribute to the original oil and gas operators in this area and to the men who so ably contributed, by their efforts and talents, throughout the past fifty years of progress.
Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 4, 2017
4. Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 7, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement