Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Benton in Bossier Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hughes House

 
 
Hughes House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 5, 2017
1. Hughes House Marker
Inscription. Built in circa 1840 by Alex B. Hughes, the house remained in the Hughes family until its donation to the Bossier Restoration Foundation in 1972. This was the boyhood home of William Clark Hughes who was the Speaker of the Louisiana House of Representatives in 1928. This house has been used as an office, home, schoolhouse and museum.
 
Location. 32° 41.649′ N, 93° 44.396′ W. Marker is in Benton, Louisiana, in Bossier Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Bossier Street and Bellevue Street, on the right when traveling south on Bossier Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Benton LA 71006, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Louisiana Maneuvers Led by General Patton (approx. 6 miles away); Belcher Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Belcher Mound (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Ruben V. Glassell House (approx. 6.7 miles away); First State Bank of Belcher (approx. 6.8 miles away); Cedar Bluff Ferry (approx. 7.9 miles away); Lynn Plantation (approx. 8.9 miles away); Shreve Square (approx. 12.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Hughes House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 5, 2017
2. Hughes House Marker
Hughes House Marker #2 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 5, 2017
3. Hughes House Marker #2
Originally built in Rocky Mount, Louisiana. From 1840's - 1860's it was the office of the Stewman and Hughes Plantation.

Site of the declaration of independence of the Free State of Bossier, November 26, 1860, months before Louisiana seceded and the resulting War between the States.

From 1860's - 1880's private residence of Capt. William J. Hughes and family. During the 1910's office of Dr. John B. Hall, later coroner for Bossier Parish.

Home was preserved in 1960's by the Bossier Restoration Foundation, spearheaded by Dr. Webb H. Martin, Jr., until his death in 1978.

Donated to the Bossier Restoration Foundation in the 1970's by the Hughes and O'Kelley descendents. Moved to this site in 1995.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement