Towanda Public Library
104 Main St.
Perhaps one of Towanda's most unusual buildings is the Public Library, donated to the town in 1897 by Frank Welles. He chose Flemish Renaissance Revival style characterized by tall steeped gables; steep roofs with lacy spires; fanciful faux dormer windows; and round towers with conical roofs. A tiny oval window in the main gable is framed by terra-cotta cherubim. Welles chose architect Henry Chapman of New York City, who adapted this style to the library using red brick with terra-cotta decoration. Frank Welles' grandfather, Charles F. Welles, built Towanda's second oldest house, found next door at 28 Main St. Carl and Katherine Patterson donated a Children's Room addition to the library in 1951 in memory of their son John, killed in WW II.
Location. 41° 46.149′ N, 76° 26.597′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 6) and Maple Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 Main Street, Towanda PA 18848, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Towanda First Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Daily Review (within shouting distance
Also see . . .
1. Towanda Public Library History. (Submitted on November 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Towanda Borough Historic District. (Submitted on November 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on November 9, 2017.