Custer City (ghost town) in Custer County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
General Custer Mill
The fortunes of Custer's residents rose and fell with the success or failure of the mill. Low grade ore and failing machinery caused the mill to close in 1888 and brought a depression to Custer. Later the mill was renovated and opened again in late 1890s. In 1904, the mill closed of the last time, signaling the end of the glory days of gold mining on the Yankee Fork. An estimated eleven to twelve million dollars of gold was recovered. Mines furnishing ore to the mill included the General Custer, Luck Boy, Fourth of July, McFadden, Sunbeam, Dickens and Montana.
While the General Custer Mill was under construction, packers brought in a fly wheel for the Corliss steam engine that measured ten feet in diameter with a ten-inch rim. To preform this feat, the wheel was packed in two sections - each half being slung
Erected by U.S. Forest Service and Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation.
Location. 44° 23.282′ N, 114° 41.721′ W. Marker is in Custer City (ghost town), Idaho, in Custer County. Marker is on Custer Motorway Adventure Road - Yankee Fork Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanley ID 83278, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Assay Office (here, next to this marker); Pfeiffer Residence (here, next to this marker); Stamp Mill (a few steps from this marker); Arrastra (a few steps from this marker); Blacksmith (a few steps from this marker); Stone House (within shouting distance of this marker); Chilean Mill and Jig (within shouting distance of this marker); Custer Jail (site) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Custer City (ghost town).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 74 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 9, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.