Jean Lafitte in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Jean Laﬁtte
Named for legendary privateer Jean Lafitte, who helped the United States win the Battle of New Orleans and used area bayous for his smuggling operations. Home to a thriving seafood industry. Incorporated in 1974 as a village. Became a town in 1977. First mayor of village and town was Leo E. Kerner, Jr., from 1974-1991
Erected 2014 by Jefferson Parish Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 45.633′ N, 90° 6.021′ W. Marker is in Jean Lafitte, Louisiana, in Jefferson Parish. Marker is on Jean Lafitte Boulevard (State Highway 45) near State Highway 303, on the right. Touch for map. Located at the exit/entrance ramp of the Intracoastal Waterway Bridge. Marker is at or near this postal address: 799 Jean Lafitte Boulevard, Lafitte LA 70067, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barataria Preserve (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sinking Land, Rising Water (approx. 1.8 miles away); Manila Village (approx. 2.3 miles away); Clark Cheniere (approx. 2.4 miles away); Poblacion de Barataria (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bellechasse Plantation Plaquemines Parish (approx. 9½ miles away); Jefferson Parish (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jean Lafitte.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2017.