Henry in Caribou County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Henry-Chester Country Store
Henry is a surviving reminiscent example of numerous small towns, supply stores, trading posts, and gathering places for early day settlers, stockmen, cowboys, and sheepherders.
This remaining rustic store with wood floors and floor-to-ceiling shelves was built in 1908. The store replaced a large frame building which was destroyed by fire in 1906. This store was built by William H. Chester and his two sons, Walter James and Colin. The Chester family operated the store as a partnership for more than 70 years, making it one of the oldest Idaho stores continuously operated by the same family. The store acted as a social center for the community, with its pot-bellied stove that warmed many a hindside. It also served as the post office, voting place, and city hall.
Henry had one of the first great rodeos of the West. In 1917, local cowboys got together for the first time near Henry to test their skills in a “rodeao.” It bore the name of Henry Stampede and Stockmenís Reunion. Bucking horses for the
Location. 42° 54.443′ N, 111° 31.774′ W. Marker is in Henry, Idaho, in Caribou County. Marker is on State Highway 34, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker and subject building are located across highway from unmarked dirt road leading west to the Cedar Bay Marina RV Park & Henry Stampede Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3291 Idaho Highway 34, Soda Springs ID 83276, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. China Hat Geological Site (approx. 6.3 miles away); John Grey (approx. 9.1 miles away); Cariboo Mountain (approx. 9.1 miles away); Grays Lake Valley (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Henry Idaho.
The building was built in 1908 after an older store burned down, but it has been closed for a few years now. Henry isn't a complete ghost yet because there are a few modern houses and trailers, and an RV park serving nearby Blackfoot Reservoir (Submitted on November 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Chester's Country Store.
The store, built in 1908, is a last remnant of a small but important livestock community in that time. The once famous Henry Stampede Rodeo and Stockmanís Reunion began here in 1918. The Chester Country Store is located at the south end of the Blackfoot Reservoir in the little community of Henry. (Submitted on November 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.