Penfield in Monroe County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Daniel Penfield, an astute businessman who recognized the power and potential of of the waterfalls of Irondequoit Creek, purchased vast tracts of property along the waterway and established a thriving milling industry and settlement that led to the designation of the Town of Penfield in 1810. Penfield's foresight and leadership created momentum for flour, grist, paper, wood and other milling industries east of the Genesee River that served markets in the United States and Canada.
[list of thanks and donators]
Sculptor: David Sottile
Erected 2010 by Penfield Bicentennial Committee, et. al.
Location. 43° 7.815′ N, 77° 28.567′ W. Marker is in Penfield, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Penfield Road (New York State Route 441) and Five Mile Line Road, on the right when traveling west on Penfield Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1820 Penfield Road, Penfield NY 14526, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Penfield - 1810 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln Mills (approx. 0.6 miles away); Eddie James "Son" House Jr. (approx. 1.1 miles away); Penfield Station (approx. 1.1 miles away); School District No. 9 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ontario Drill Works (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of Tunnel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Water Tower (approx. 1.2 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.