Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. John's Episcopal Church, Georgetown Parish
This first Episcopal congregation in Georgetown was founded in 1796 by the Reverent Walter Dulany Addison. Other founders and benefactors include Thomas Hyde, Thomas Corcoran, Benjamin Stoddert, and Francis Scott Key. President Thomas Jefferson contributed to the building fund.
This Federal-style building, based on a design by William Thornton, architect of the Capitol, was opened in 1804 and consecrated in 1809. The foundations, walls, roof and bell tower are original.
Founded as a Christian community for the worship of God, the dissemination of the Gospel, and the furnishing of spiritual and material help to those in need, St. John's remains dedicated to these purposes.
Erected by St. John's Episcopal Church.
Location. 38° 54.462′ N, 77° 3.909′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of O Street NW and Potomac Street NW on O Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3240 O Street NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Ninian Beall (a few steps from The Last Home of Stephen Bloomer Balch, D.D. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Political Salons of Georgetown (about 700 feet away); Ambassador David K. E. Bruce (about 800 feet away); Potomac No. 5 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Presbyterian Congregation in George Town, (approx. 0.2 miles away); The City Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forrest Marbury House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.