Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ketchum in Blaine County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Ketchum

 
 
Ketchum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
1. Ketchum Marker
Inscription. Pioneering explorer Alexander Ross visited the valley in search of beaver in 1821. The Hudson's Bay Company reported the area as "promising." Ketchum's short mining era began in 1879, after the Sheepeater War and the relocation of the Native American population. Ketchum was named after David Ketchum, the prospector who discovered the first lead and silver deposits in the valley. He built a log cabin on the Wood River, lived in it for one winter, made money selling his real estate interests, and left never to return. In 1880, the City of Ketchum was formed near Warm Springs Creek along the Wood River. Taking advantage of a year round water supply, the Philadelphia Smelter, off Warm Springs Road, began operating in 1882, complete with some of the nation's first electric lights. The Oregon Shoreline Railroad reached the area in 1884.
In the 1890s the smelter processed ore from mines as far away as Challis. After a decline in silver prices, Ketchum residents, mostly miners, began to leave. Ketchum soon rebounded. The city became a premier sheep-shipping center and a popular destination for tourists seeking to "take the cure" at area hot springs. On January 16, 1936, the area's future reputation as America's first world class ski resort began. Union Pacific owner W. Averell Harriman ended his search with a declaration from the Austrian
Ketchum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
2. Ketchum Marker
Count Felix Schaffgotsch: "Among the many attractive spots I have visited, this combines more delightful features of any place in the United Staters, Switzerland, or Austria for a winter sports resort." On December 21, 1936, the celebrated Sun Valley Resort was opened triggering growth that continues today.
 
Erected 2005 by The Ketchum-Sun Valley Historical Society; City of Ketchum; E Clampus Vitus, Chief Truckee Chapter No. 3691, Lewis and Clark Outpost No. 1805.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 43° 40.908′ N, 114° 21.784′ W. Marker is in Ketchum, Idaho, in Blaine County. Marker can be reached from Sun Valley Road near East Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 491 Sun Valley Road, Ketchum ID 83340, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lewis Ore Wagons (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Congregational Church (about 700 feet away); Ski Lifts (approx. 2.3 miles away); W.H. Watt Building (approx. 11.4 miles away); Bullion Block Site/Werthheimer Building
Ernest Hemingway Memorial near Ketchum image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
3. Ernest Hemingway Memorial near Ketchum
(approx. 11 miles away); J.J. Tracy Building (approx. 11 miles away); J.C. Fox Building (approx. 11 miles away); Rialto Hotel (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ketchum.
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the back of the building, facing the Town Square.
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersSports
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement