Greeneville in Greene County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
James H. Quillen United States Courthouse
Inscription. The United States District Court of Tennessee was established in 1797, one year after Tennessee became a state. Initially,one federal judge, John McNairy, served the entire state. The state was later subdivided into two, and then later three federal judicial districts served by additional judges; eventually these districts were carved into divisions. The Northeastern Division of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee was established in 1900. In a political trade-off with Johnson City, Tennessee, which obtained the veterans' home, Greeneville was chosen as the site for the federal courthouse. The original courthouse and post office building, erected on the southwest corner of Main and Summer Streets, was completed in 1904. Despite the existence of this handsome facility, no federal judge presided in Greeneville on a full-time basis until the appointment of Charles G. Neese in 1961. Judge Neese was succeeded by Greeneville native Thomas Gray Hull in 1983. It was Judge Hull who had the foresight to recognize that the courthouse that had served the division so well in the 20th Century would not be adequate to meet the expanding needs of the federal court in the 21st Century. With the invaluable assistance of his friends First District Congressmen James H. Quillen and William L. Jenkins and Senators Fred Thompson
By Tom Bosse, September 28, 2017
1. James H. Quillen United States Courthouse Marker
and Bill Frist, Judge Hall maneuvered for years to obtain the funding for, and achieve the construction of, Greeneville's second federal courthouse - the building before which you stand today.
By Tom Bosse, November 11, 2017
2. James H. Quillen United States Courthouse Marker
Location. 36° 9.862′ N, 82° 50.001′ W. Marker is in Greeneville, Tennessee, in Greene County. Marker is on West Depot Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 West Depot Street, Greeneville TN 37743, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dickson - Williams Mansion (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Dickson - Williams Mansion (about 400 feet away); Death of Gen. John Hunt Morgan (about 400 feet away); General Morgan Inn (about 600 feet away); Death of John Morgan (about 600 feet away); Andrew Johnson and Family (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greeneville.
Also see . . . James H. Quillen. (Submitted on November 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
By Tom Bosse, September 28, 2017
3. James H. Quillen United States Courthouse
By Tom Bosse
4. Congressman James H. Quillen
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.