An Early Boom Town
Farmers – An Early Industrial Center
Located ten miles west of Morehead, it was first named Cross Roads because it was situated where the road running parallel to the Licking River crossed the road running east and west. As early as 1792, settlers came to Cross Roads after receiving land grants from the United States Government. These grants were issued as a payment for their services and patronage in the American Revolution. One of the first to settle was Major Jim Brain, who established a hotel. The settlers kept pouring into Cross Roads. Its population increased rapidly because of its river location, fertile farming land, and abundance of virgin timber alongside the Licking River.
The town of Cross Roads changed its name to Farmers with the advent of the Elizabethtown, Lexington & Big Sandy Railroad in 1882. At the time, Cross Roads and Morehead were the only incorporated towns in the county. Farmers remained the largest town in the county. As a river town, it was the industrial center of the county.
There were several sawmills, including Keystone Lumber Company. A German-owned company produced barrel staves that were floated
Location. 38° 8.464′ N, 83° 32.88′ W. Marker is in Farmers, Kentucky, in Rowan County. Marker is on U.S. 60, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morehead KY 40351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan Raiders' Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); Caney Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky (approx. 1.7 miles away); Unwind with Us (approx. 4 miles away); Clear Creek Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky (approx. 4 miles away); First Faculty And Staff (approx. 6.9 miles away); Allie Young Law Office (approx. 6.9 miles away); National Register Historic District / Morehead State University (approx. 6.9 miles away); Rowan County "War," 1884-1887 (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.