Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Near this site on July 1, 1958, Mrs. Philip W. Hiden and Mrs. Homer L. Ferguson, assisted by Shipyard Board Chairman J. B. Woodward, Jr., cut the ribbon marking the consolidation of the cities of Warwick and Newport News into the greater city of Newport News. The merged city’s 65 square miles made it the largest in Virginia, while its population of 113,662 gave it third rank in the state.
Erected 1983 by Newport News Historical Committee.
Location. 37° 0.221′ N, 76° 26.612′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Huntington Avenue (U.S. 60) and 64th Street, on the right when traveling south on Huntington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Harwood House (approx. half a mile away); Camp Alexander (approx. half a mile away); Camp Hill (approx. half a mile away); Heading Out West Avenue Library (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lake Biggins (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ferguson Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Dorothy & Newport News Shipbuilding (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
More. Search the internet for Consolidation.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on November 18, 2017, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 7, 2017, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.