O'Donnell in Lynn County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
On July 4, 1910, a big picnic was held to celebrate arrival of first Santa Fe train. Old "Central" post office (previously on Dee W. Harris Ranch, 5.5 mi. NW) was moved to new town in 1910 and was officially renamed O'Donnell on Feb. 7, 1911. W. R. Standefer was employed to survey townsite in 1911. H. E. Baldridge offered free building lots to churches. A Methodist church was organized in 1911; Church of Christ and Presbyterian churches in 1912; First Baptist in 1914.
Town was incorporated in 1923, with W. R. Sanderson as first mayor. School, improved dramatically since its early wooden building, serves a large area. A graduate is actor Dan Blocker ("Hoss" Cartwright).
Now a dry land farming center, O'Donnell in 1961 had what was then the largest cotton gin in the world, ginning 21,000 bales of cotton during that year.
Erected 1969 by State Historical
Location. 32° 57.887′ N, 101° 49.949′ W. Marker is in O'Donnell, Texas, in Lynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Doak Street and 8th Street, on the right when traveling north on Doak Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the southeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Odonnell TX 79351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The A. J. Warren Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynn County Courthouse (approx. 14 miles away); Lynn County (approx. 14 miles away); a different marker also named Lynn County Courthouse (approx. 14 miles away); Tahoka (approx. 14.1 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.