Camp Hughes (1907)
The story of Fort Drum began in 1906, [when] a partnership between the U.S. Army at Madison Barracks and North Country community leaders began looking for local training areas. The area in Felt[s] Mills, immediately north of the Black River, was chosen. Between August 31 and September 7, 1907, the New York National Guard established a temporary tent encampment, which they called Camp Hughes.
Camp Hughes was named for Charles E. Hughes, who was then the governor of New York. Since that summer, U.S. Army soldiers have trained annually at the site of Fort Drum. The following year, Brigadier General Frederic Dent Grant, (the oldest son of President Ulysses S. Grant), led thousands of soldiers back to the area north of the Black River, known locally as "Pine Plains." Grant commanded regular army units and National Guard regiments from throughout the northeast. The camp at Pine Plains formally opened on June 11, 1908 and training continued throughout the summer.
[Photo captions, from top to bottom, read]
• Camp Hughes - Felts Mills, N.Y.
• Camp Hughes Felts Mills, N.Y. Aug. 31st. 1907
• Colonel Philip Reade (1844-1919)
Colonel Philip Reade, as Regimental Commander of the 23rd US Infantry at Madison Barracks, was a driving force behind Camp Hughes' selection and success. As Madison Barracks commander,
This photograph is a distinctive type popular around the turn of the century, called a "Multigraph" - essentially, five different images of the same individual contained on a single photograph.
• Governor Charles E. Hughes and General Grant on the occasion of the governor's inspection of the camp
Erected by the 10th Mountain Division & Fort Drum Museum.
Location. 44° 2.293′ N, 75° 47.884′ W. Marker is in Fort Drum, New York, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Mt. Belvidere Boulevard south of Enduring Freedom Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Visitors Park Information Center, Fort Drum NY 13602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pine Camp (1908) (here, next to this marker); Pine Camp Cantonment (1941)
Regarding Camp Hughes (1907). Access is restricted due to the marker being on an active military installation; visitors should expect to provide proper ID and automobile registration/insurance paperwork for post entry.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Drum Through The Years. (Submitted on November 21, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Drum History. (Submitted on November 21, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.