Camp Drum (1951)
In 1951, Pine Camp was re-named Camp Drum in honor of Lieutenant General Hugh A. Drum (1879-1951). A New York native, General Drum was the Chief of Staff of the First U.S. Army (American Expeditionary Forces) during World War I. During World War II, he was Commander of the US. Army-Department of Hawaii, the First Army, and later the Northeast Defense Command.
Throughout this period, Camp Drum was still considered a temporary training facility for the US Army, and soldiers continued to be quartered during summer drills in World War II temporary barracks. Camp Drum was predominantly used to train U.S. Army units intermittently deployed to Camp Drum to perform various training exercises.
[The period photos do not contain captions]
Erected by the 10th Mountain Division & Fort Drum Museum.
Location. 44° 2.293′ N, 75° 47.884′ W. Marker is in Fort Drum, New York, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Mt. Belvidere Boulevard south of Enduring Freedom Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Visitors Park Information Center, Fort Drum NY 13602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Hughes (1907) (here, next to this marker);
Regarding Camp Drum (1951). Access is restricted due to the marker being on an active military installation; visitors should expect to provide proper ID and automobile registration/insurance paperwork for post entry.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Drum History. (Submitted on November 21, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Drum Through The Years. (Submitted on November 21, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.