Potlatch in Latah County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
White Pine Scenic Byway
Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes
Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes is a 73 mile long bike trail built on the original Union Pacific railroad grade. During 1884 silver was discovered in the valley. During 1888, construction began on a rail line between Plummer and Harrison to support the mining and timber industries in the valley. Today, Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes follows much of that original rail line taking bikers along one of America’s most scenic bike trails.
Mullan Trail Park
Mullan Park located in St. Maries honors Army Officer Lt. John Mullan, an engineer who surveyed and built a wagon trail (circa 1859) between Walla Walla, Washington and Fort Benton, Montana. The three acre park has six native species of coniferous trees found in Northern Idaho. The park also has on display turn-of-the-century logging memorabilia along with a steam-powered three-spool Willamette donkey engine.
Cataldo Mission, “The Old Mission of the Scared Heart,” is the oldest standing building in Idaho. The Greek revival style mission was built under the direction of Father Antonio Ravalli, S.J. who was the chief architect and construction supervisor. Fr. Ravalli completed the mission during 1853. Fr. Joseph M. Cataldo, founded numerous churches in the territory,
St. Maries dates back more than a hundred years, when the first pioneers looking for logging opportunities traveled up the St. Joe River from Coeur d’Alene. Among them, was Joseph Fisher, and his three brothers who built their first sawmill during 1889. St. Maries quickly became a hard-working lumberjack town, and was also renowned for the paddle wheelers that ferried people and supplies to Coeur d’Alene. Today, St. Maries is a lumber mill town producing plywood, and related wood products.
White Pine Drive
White Pine Drive is a 12-mile section of Idaho 6 bordered on both sides of the roadway with old-growth forest. Located at the Giant White Pine Campground, a fallen 600 year-old giant white pine is on display. The tree measured nearly six feet in diameter and was nearly 188 feet tall. The campground has a walking path among nearly 400 year-old western white pine, and red cedar.
The Palouse Divide Nordic Ski Trails is one of Idaho’s Park N’ Ski recreation areas. The trail system includes 9 miles of marked and groomed trails, and more than 25 miles of backcountry trails. Summer time activities include hiking and camping opportunities in a rugged mountain setting.
The Town of Potlatch was established during 1905 when Frederick Weyerhaeuser opened the largest white pine mill in the world. Artifacts from the early mining and logging days are on display at the Potlatch City Hall. Located at Scenic Six Park is a vintage Washington Idaho & Montana locomotive along with historic white pine logging memorabilia.
Laird Park is located in the Palouse River drainage. The area offers abundant recreation opportunities including camping, swimming, horseback riding, rock hounding, and gold panning. Encompassing more than 100 square miles, the region dates back to when gold was discovered during the mid-1800’s along the Palouse River. Evidence of early mining activity is still visible along the north fork of the Palouse River.
Old Sampson Trail
The Old Sampson Trailhead is located in the Giant White Pine Campground. Named after Charles Sampson, a Boise businessman, the trail leads to a stand of mature white pine. Sampson maintained the trail which, extended from the Canadian Border to Southern Idaho. During 1933, the governor officially designated the trail to recognize its historical significance of being the first attempt to maintain a large-scale transportation corridor in Idaho.
Location. 46° 55.804′ N, 116° 55.16′ W. Marker is in Potlatch, Idaho, in Latah County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 6 and Travis Road, on the left when traveling west on State Highway 6. Touch for map. Marker is located in a pull-out on the south side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Potlatch ID 83855, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Company Town (approx. 0.9 miles away); World's Largest Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); It These Walls Could Talk (approx. 9.3 miles away); Giver of Parks (approx. 10.4 miles away); Title Building (approx. 14.2 miles away).
More about this marker. Large wooden marker in good condition
Also see . . .
1. White Pine Scenic Byway.
Offering panoramic views of farm land, extensive forests, rivers, and mountains, White Pine Scenic Byway crosses the picturesque St. Maries and St. Joe Rivers before meandering south through the St. Joe National Forest and the rolling hills of the Palouse region. (Submitted on November 22, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. White Pine Scenic Byway.
With its large tracts of timberland and wilderness areas, its not hard to believe that Idaho holds the largest stand of white pines in the nation. The pine forest lends its name to the White Pine Scenic Byway, found just to the south of Interstate 90. Following State Routes 3 and 6, the byway passes by the lower Coeur d'Alene, St. Joe and St. Maries rivers. In Cataldo, the Old Mission of the Sacred Heart, dating to the 1840s, is Idaho's oldest historic building. Route 6 cuts through St. Joes Forest, and the rolling hills of the Palouse. (Submitted on November 22, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.