Wilson in Lynn County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wilson Mercantile Company
Green later bought out his associates, and shortly thereafter he and Lonnie Lumsden acquired over 50 sections of the old Dixie Ranch in the north part of Lynn County. Their ranching headquarters were a mile east of here. Green introduced farming on the school lands, bringing in settlers (many from his home county, Lavaca)-- some as purchasers, some as tenants. The community was called Wilson, for the original tract, and indirectly for Rev. J. C. Wilson, State Senator for whom Wilson County was named.
The town was founded 1911, after Green influenced Panhandle & Santa Fe Railway to put its line here.
Green's original frame mercantile store, nucleus for the town, was replaced in 1917 by this building.
In 1963 Wilson Mercantile was restored by Mrs. William Dickson Green, daughter-in-law of founder; her work has made the building a repository for items authentic to the period when the Greens came to Texas as well as to the era when town of Wilson was established and the store was founded.
Location. 33° 19.034′ N, 101° 43.462′ W. Marker is in Wilson, Texas, in Lynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Avenue and 10th Street, on the right when traveling west on Green Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on south wall of building. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson TX 79381, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Mackenzie Cavalry Camp (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spanish Explorers' Route (approx. half a mile away); Lynn County (approx. 8.1 miles away); Mercy Hospital (approx. 9 miles away); Slaton Bakery (approx. 9½ miles away); Slaton Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 9½ miles away); Slaton (approx. 9½ miles away); Engine 1809 (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.