Pineville in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
City of Pineville
In 1722 Diron d'Artaguette, Inspector of Troops in Louisiana, recommended the establishment of a fortified post on Red River to prevent Indian attacks on those portaging the rapids. Although it is probably that some type of French presence was established near the rapids shortly after the Inspector's report, the specific date of origin for "Post du Rapide" was not until 1770. Eight years following Louisiana's transfer to Spain in 1762, Etienne Layssard was appointed the post commandant. A census commissioned by Gen. Alexandro O'Reilly in 1769 reported about 100 settlers, including slaves and Apalache Indians near the post. By the late 18th century numerous families from Virginia, Maryland, Georgia and the Carolinas had settled in the vicinity, taking advantage of liberal land grants extended by the Spanish government. Prior to U.S. annexation by the Louisiana "purchase" in 1803, the post served as portage station along Nolan's Trace, a trail blazed in the horse trade between Spanish Texas and the American Southwest. In the early 19th century an influx of merchants, farmers, and herdsmen gave rise to the community of "Pineville." Throughout the century Pineville served as an important commercial link to towns and villages north of the Red River. On March 14, 1878, the town was incorporated.
Location. Marker is in Pineville, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Business U.S. 165) and Shamrock Street (State Road 1250) on Main Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 731 Main Street, Pineville LA 71360, United States of America.
More about this marker. Located at the entrance of the Pineville Old Town Hall Museum.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2017.