Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmetto in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Great Chime Bell

 
 
The Great Chime Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, November 25, 2017
1. The Great Chime Bell Marker
Inscription. This bronze bell was forged by the E.W. Vanduzen Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio, at the Buckeye Bell Foundry in 1893. Originally placed in St. Paul's Lutheran Church of Indianapolis, Indiana, this was the largest of 9 bells. A musical collection of 9 bells is delineated as a "chime of bells". The tonal pitch is the musical note C3. The church and campanile underwent demolition in 1995 when the property was purchased by Eli Lilly & Co. for expansion of their Indianapolis plant.

G.W. Coffin founded the Buckeye Bell Foundry in 1837. This factory produced the finest and most ornate bells ever made in the United States. During the Civil War, the foundry produced canons for the war effort. A devastating Ohio River flood in January 1937 destroyed most of the Buckeye Foundry records.

The bell weighs 4800 lbs. with a circumference of nearly 16 ft. For comparison, the 'Liberty Bell' is smaller in size with a circumference of 12 ft. However, 'Big Ben', the nickname of the great bell in London Tower Clock, measures over 28 ft. The bronze composition is 80% copper and 20% tin. As the copper oxidizes, a slight green patina appears.

The waist of the bell is inscribed with the biblical verse Ephesians 5:14; "Awake O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you".

The bell is enclosed in an elegant rotunda folly reminiscent

The Great Chime Bell Marker with bell image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, November 25, 2017
2. The Great Chime Bell Marker with bell
of those found in 18th century English gardens. Follies were often deliberately built as ornaments for viewing pleasure. Supporting brick and striking slender turned cedar columns hold the sculptured canopy aloft. A Chippendale style railing encircles the base. This addition accents the historic property.
 
Erected by Architect: Mary Marsh Lasseter, A1A.Historic Reproduction Consultant: Donald Klingbeil. Perkling Construction, Bradenton, FL.
 
Location. 27° 30.729′ N, 82° 34.662′ W. Marker is in Palmetto, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverside Drive and 12th Avenue West, on the right when traveling west on Riverside Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1112 Riverside Drive, Palmetto FL 34221, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palmetto Riverside Bed and Breakfast (within shouting distance of this marker); Palmetto (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Palmetto Baptist Church/Dr. M.B. Harrison (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 'Old' Palmetto Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Plymouth (approx. 0.4 miles
The Great Chime Bell Marker, bell and house image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, November 25, 2017
3. The Great Chime Bell Marker, bell and house
away); Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg (approx. one mile away); Florida Highway Patrol School (approx. one mile away); Bealls Centennial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmetto.
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement