Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clearwater in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Old Pinellas County Courthouse

 
 
The Old Pinellas County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, July 30, 2017
1. The Old Pinellas County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Formed in 1912, Pinellas County quickly outgrew its original courthouse and in 1916 the Board of County Commissioners voted in favor of a $160,000 bond issue to finance the construction of a new courthouse and jail. Well-known architect Francis J. Kennard was chosen for the design, and the land was purchased for $5,000 on January 19, 1917. Contracts totaling $119,823 were awarded to Bates, Hudnall, & Jetton and G.A. Miller & Company for the construction of the courthouse and jail, respectively. The building was completed on time and within budget in 1918. The first floor contained the county's business records and commissioners' offices. The second floor housed one large courtroom, judges' offices, and jury and grand jury rooms. The courthouse is an excellent example of Neo-Classical Revival architecture, similar to other early 20th century public buildings in Florida. The Old Pinellas County Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance as the first permanent building in Pinellas County erected as the seat of county government. It was designated a local historic landmark by the City of Clearwater in partnership with the Pinellas County Historic Preservation Board in 2015.
 
Erected 2017 by Pinellas County Historic Preservation Board, and the Florida Department
The Old Pinellas County Courthouse Marker with courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, July 30, 2017
2. The Old Pinellas County Courthouse Marker with courthouse
of State. (Marker Number F941.)
 
Location. 27° 57.717′ N, 82° 48.003′ W. Marker is in Clearwater, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is at the intersection of South Fort Harrison Avenue and Court Street (State Road 60), on the left when traveling north on South Fort Harrison Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 324 South Fort Harrison Avenue, Clearwater FL 33756, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clearwater Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Harbor Oaks Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Magnolia Drive Dock (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Seminole Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); Clearwater Athletic Field (approx. one mile away); First Public School (approx. 2 miles away); The American's Creed / In Grateful Remembrance (approx. 3 miles away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clearwater.
 
Also see . . .  Old Pinellas County Courthouse. (Submitted on November 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement