Springfield in Hampden County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark
The Springfield Armory (1794 — 1968) was the first national armory in the United States.
It was an outstanding, innovative center for the design and production of military small arms.
Among its notable achievements are the Blanchard Lathe (1819) for the mass production of gun-stocks, the Springfield Rifles, and the Garand semi-automatic rifles.
Erected 1980 by The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Location. 42° 6.532′ N, 72° 34.707′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Massachusetts, in Hampden County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Federal Street and State Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the entrance to Garvey Hall, Springfield Technical Community College. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Armory Street, Springfield MA 01105, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To the Memory of George Washington (here, next to this marker); Springfield Armory (here, next to this marker); Gen. Henry Knox Trail Shays’ Rebellion (about 800 feet away); Armory Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Military Presence (approx. 0.2 miles away); From Arsenal to Icon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Main Arsenal (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
More about this marker. Garvey Hall was an original building of the Springfield Armory. It now houses administrative and other offices of Springfield Technical Community College.
Also see . . .
1. Springfield Armory National Historic Site. (Submitted on December 1, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Springfield Technical Community College. (Submitted on December 1, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.