Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Allen House
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15074.)
Location. 32° 33.037′ N, 94° 22.034′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is on North Washington Avenue 0.1 miles south of Ginocchio Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Historical marker, Texas Historical Medallion, and National Register of Historic Places marker are mounted at eye-level on the wall beside the front door of subject house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 North Washington Avenue, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ginocchio-Cook-Pedison House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ginocchio Hotel and Restaurant (about 300 feet away, Texas & Pacific Depot (about 300 feet away); Site of The Confederate Hat Factory in Marshall, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute (approx. ¼ mile away); Sam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall (approx. ¼ mile away); Telegraph Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Harrison County (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Regarding The Allen House. The Allen House is a recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1977), and entered in the National Register of Historic Places (1974)
Also see . . .
1. The Allen House.
Walker Montecue Allen moved to Marshall in 1876 with his wife Eliza Ann Handly-Allen and their nine children. Although there is no documentation remaining, historian Max Lale revealed in a family oral interview, that when the family first arrived to Marshall, they rented the Van Zandt home located on the property where East Texas Baptist University now stands. The Allen house was completed around 1879. It is interesting to note that the warranty deed to the land title was
A few rooms were added between 1944 and 1975 on both floors, including additional bathrooms and kitchens, thus dividing the house into a number of apartments. These rooms were later removed in 1975 when the Harrison County Historical Society purchased the home and restored it back to its original design. Once the home was restored, the Historical Society turned it into a museum and beginning in 1979, the house was included as part of the Harrison County Historical Society historical homes trail. Unfortunately, lack of funds prevented proper maintenance of the home so it was placed back on the market for sale. In 2011, the Harrison County Historical Society sold the house back to descendants of the Allen family who are presently renting out the home. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Walker Montecue Allen.
He built a comfortable home in Marshall. Most of his time was spent as pastor of country churches within reach. He was always dearly in love with his work. He never seemed to aspire to the greater posts of service. He was always eminently successful as a revivalist. Much of his latter time was spent in that work. Many who are now preachers were converted under his ministry. He was for a number of years stated clerk and treasurer of the Marshall Presbytery, of which (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.