Logan Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Fitting Tribute
—Logan Circle Heritage Trail —
Etched into the corner of the building next to this sign are the names of cars and trucks sold here back when showrooms lined this stretch of 14th Street. Hurley Motor Company, which opened here in 1920, sold Milwaukee-made Nash cars and trucks. Trew Motor Co. (now Studio Theatre's main building) opened the same year to sell Peerless and REO cars.
Horse-drawn streetcars began running along 14th Street from New York Avenue to Boundary Street (Florida Avenue) in 1862, making a major transportation corridor that attracted residential development. In the early 1900s, when automobiles became affordable, showrooms clustered here. In 1925 some 40 car-related businesses operated on 14th Street between Thomas Circle and R Street. But as the DC suburbs exploded in the 1950s, most dealerships followed their customers out of town.
As you continue to Sign 4, you'll pass John Wesley AME Zion Church, a DC Historic Landmark at 14th and Corcoran Streets. Organized in 1847, the church purchased the St. Andrews Episcopal Church building in 1913. Fifty years later, after civil rights activist Medgar Evers was murdered in Jackson, Mississippi, his body lay in state here as 25,000 people filed through to pay him tribute. Evers, a decorated World War II veteran, was buried at Arlington Cemetery. At 14th and Q note the former
The Logan Circle Neighborhood began with city boosters' dreams of greatness. The troops, cattle pens, and hubbub of the Civil War (1861-1865) had nearly ruined Washington, and when the fighting ended, Congress threatened to move the nation's capital elsewhere. So city leaders raced to repair and modernize the city. As paved streets, waster and gas lines, street lights, and sewers reached undeveloped areas, wealthy whites followed. Mansions soon sprang up around an elegant park where Vermont and Rhode Island Avenues met. The circle was named Iowa Circle, thanks to Iowa Senator William Boyd Allison. In 1901 a statue of Civil War General (and later Senator) John A. Logan, a founder of Memorial Day, replaced the park's central fountain. The circle took his name in 1930. The title of this Heritage Trail comes from General Logan's argument that Memorial Day would serve as "a fitting tribute to the memory of [the nation's] slain defenders."
As the city grew beyond Logan Circle, affluent African Americans gradually replaced whites here. Most of them moved on during World War II, and
Erected 2012 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 3 of 15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington DC, Logan Circle Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 54.626′ N, 77° 1.925′ W. Marker is in Logan Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 14th Street and Church Street when traveling north on 14th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20005, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Treading the Boards (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); When Logan Rode The Battle Line (about 500 feet away); No Braver Man Than John Logan John Logan House (about 500 feet away); John Wesley A.M.E. Zion Church (about 500 feet away); Logan Circle (about 500 feet away); 6 Logan (about 500 feet away); Pratt House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Logan Circle.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on December 2, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1. submitted on December 30, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on December 2, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on December 30, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.