Logan Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Care for the City
A Fitting Tribute
—Logan Circle Heritage Trail —
Luther Place Memorial Church has been a neighborhood fixture since 1873, when the Maryland Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church established it as a "memorial to God's goodness in delivering the land from slavery and from war." It quickly established a reputation for community service. A century later, this very urban church was galvanized by civil disturbances following the 1968 assassination of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Place offered shelter during and after the riots, and provided food, clothing and medical care for thousands of affected people.
With the 1970 arrival of the Reverend John Steinbruck, the church expanded its social justice program. New women's shelters eventually became N Street Village, a community of empowerment and recovery for homeless and low-income women. Luther Place hosted the Community for Creative Non-Violence, which operated Zacchaeus Medical Clinic, housing for offenders awaiting trial, and a group residence. Zacchaeus later merged with Bread for the City, which was organized by Luther Place in 1976. The church declared itself a sanctuary for refugees of the war in El Salvador (1979-1992).
Social justice leaders, including Harriet Tubman, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Dr. King, Dorothy Day, and St. Francis of Assissi are memorialized in stained-glass windows and
Just behind you, near the intersection of Vermont Avenue and N Street, is where the organizing meeting for what would be Howard University took place in 1867. Dr. Charles B. Boynton of the First Congregational Society hosted the meeting in his home (since demolished).
The Logan Circle Neighborhood began with city boosters' dreams of greatness. The troops, cattle pens, and hubbub of the Civil War (1861-1865) had nearly ruined Washington, and when the fighting ended, Congress threatened to move the nation's capital elsewhere. So city leaders raced to repair and modernize the city. As paved streets, waster and gas lines, street lights, and sewers reached undeveloped areas, wealthy whites followed. Mansions soon sprang up around an elegant park where Vermont and Rhode Island Avenues met. The circle was named Iowa Circle, thanks to Iowa Senator William Boyd Allison. In 1901 a statue of Civil War General (and later Senator) John A. Logan, a founder of Memorial Day, replaced the park's central fountain. The circle took his name in 1930. The title of this Heritage Trail comes from General Logan's argument that Memorial Day would serve as "a fitting tribute to the memory of [the nation's] slain defenders."
As the city grew beyond
Erected 2012 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 12 of 15.)
Location. 38° 54.391′ N, 77° 1.894′ W. Marker is in Logan Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Vermont Avenue Northwest and Logan Circle NW, on the left when traveling north on Vermont Avenue Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1226 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington DC 20005, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Presidents' Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Major General George H. Thomas Striving for Equality (about 700 feet away); Bethune Museum-Archives (about 800 feet away); It Takes a Village (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Artistic Life (approx. 0.2 miles away); This House was Occupied by Alexander Graham Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Church of the Ascension and St. Agnes (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Logan Circle.
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 2, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.