Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Snyder
A major event in the town's growth came in 1908 when the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad brought the "Iron Horse" to Snyder.
The city was incorporated in 1907.
Late in 1948 the city moved into another era when the huge Canyon Reef Oil Field was discovered. With influx of oil field workers and personnel, the quiet county seat became an overcrowded boom town overnight, with the population jumping from 4,000 to 12,000 in a year's time.
Today Snyder, the county seat of Scurry County, continues as a regional trade center for ranching, farming and oil production.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 893.)
Location. 32° 43.096′ N, 100° 55.159′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is on 24th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1925 24th Street, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Witness Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Witness Tree (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First State Bank Building (about 500 feet away); Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar (about 600 feet away); County Named for Texas Confederate William R. Scurry (about 700 feet away); Channel of Deep Creek (about 700 feet away); Company G (about 700 feet away); County's First Law Men (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.