Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created • Organized
August 21, 1876 • June 28, 1884
Named in honor of
General William R. Scurry
member of the last Texas Congress
A distinguished officer in the
Snyder, the county seat
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4618.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 43.018′ N, 100° 55.044′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is at the intersection of 25th Street and Avenue R, on the right when traveling east on 25th Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scurry County Courthouse Site and Building (here, next to this marker); County Named for Texas Confederate William R. Scurry (within shouting distance of this marker); Company G (within shouting distance of this marker); Snyder National Bank County's First Law Men (within shouting distance of this marker); Scurry County's Canyon Reef Oil Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of The MacKenzie Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
More about this marker. According to the book Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence, published in 1938, this marker was originally located in 1936 on US 180 west of Snyder near Farm-to-Market Road 1269.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.