A Historic Community on the Great South Bay
In 1862, regular Bay Shore to Fire Island ferry service began. During the 1880s, Bay Shore became known as the "Garden Spot of Long Island" with the start of rail service carrying throngs of tourists to this seaside community of hotels, horse-drawn carriages, gas-lit streets, summer estates and sailing boats. Briefly, from 1915 to 1916, Bay Shore was a silent film industry center. After World War II, Bay Shore's summer tourists were replaced with permanent residents, as families fled the crowded city for the suburbs.
Today, Bay Shore is enjoying a renaissance, with Touro College's new campus, an expanded YMCA, and the revitalization of its down-town. Watchogue Creek Park is a new community gathering place for concerts and events. Three centuries after its founding, this hamlet, located on
Location. 40° 42.651′ N, 73° 14.491′ W. Marker is in Bay Shore, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is on South Clinton Avenue south of Bayview Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bay Shore NY 11706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Still on Patrol (a few steps from this marker); The Silent Service (a few steps from this marker); The United States Life-Saving Service on Fire Island (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bay Shore 1695 (approx. ¾ mile away); Dr. George S. King Park (approx. ¾ mile away); "Lady with the Torch" (approx. 1.1 miles away); Doxsee Clam Factory (approx. 1.3 miles away); Doxsee Clams (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay Shore.
More about this marker. The marker is set in an informational kiosk in Bay Shore Manor Park (Bay Shore Marina), on the north side of the parking lot.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.