Libuse in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Libuse Czech Colony
In 1908, the Bohemian Colonization Club was begun by J. Rosicky, publisher & editor of the Hospodář, to establish family centered Czech colonies. In 1912, Wesly Wosterchil, Frank Zumpfe, and J. Sobotka located 21,000 acres of cut-over pineland. LA Investments and Securities Co. bought the tract and assisted in the development of the colony. In the spring in 1914 about 100 families from throughout the U.S. settled in LIBUSE & KOLIN. More came later. Drawn together by common bonds, the Czechs built schools, farmer's unions, halls, cemeteries and retained cultural values. The community center was located near this site.
Erected by Louisiana Czech Heritage Association, Inc.
Location. 31° 21.122′ N, 92° 20.036′ W. Marker is in Libuse, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Industrial/Ceter Road 0.3 miles south of State Highway 28, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Libuse LA 71348, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kees Park (approx. 4.9 miles away); Kolin Czech Colony (approx. 5.2 miles away); Alexandria Hall (approx. Louisiana College (approx. 5.8 miles away); In Honor and Memory of Louisiana College Students (approx. 5.8 miles away); 1100 Block Main Street (approx. 6 miles away); 1101 Main Street (approx. 6 miles away); Fallen Federal Firefighters/ Oklahoma City Bombing Victims Memorial Grove (approx. 6 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2017.