Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Center in Shelby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Martin McCoy Middleton

 
 
Martin McCoy Middleton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 25, 2014
1. Martin McCoy Middleton Marker
Inscription.
Martin M. Middleton, son of Drue and Maggie Middleton, was a lifelong resident of Shelby County. He married Shirley Faye Booth in July 1941, five months before the war started in December of that year. Soon after serving his country in the United States Air Force, Martin returned to Center, where he operated a successful grocery business serving residents of the area. He was instrumental in helping to develop the poultry industry in Shelby County. After the houses were built and the chickens were mature, there was no market. Martin led the way in assisting growers with marketing and transportation of the grown chickens to processors outside the region. He later developed a state of the art feed mill, the first of its kind in Texas, to deliver bulk feed to growers. Martin also served as Mayor of Center. Martin was an outdoorsman who loved to hunt and fish. He was a member of First Baptist Church and was a dedicated husband and father of three children. Beyond his accolades and accomplishments, Martin Middleton was, first and foremost, a philanthropist with a heart for helping others.
 
Erected by Tyson Foods, et. al.
 
Location. 31° 48.362′ N, 94° 11.624′ W. Marker is in Center, Texas, in Shelby County. Marker
Martin McCoy Middleton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 25, 2014
2. Martin McCoy Middleton Marker

This tribute given in honor of
Martin McCoy Middleton
(September 14, 1919 – February 2, 1963)

by Mrs. Martin Middleton
Mike and Verner W. Middleton
Alice Canales and grandchildren
Martin, Michael, Mark and Matthew Middleton
Ron and Allyson Jones
can be reached from the intersection of Express Boulevard and Civic Center Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at the main entrance of the John D. Windham Civic Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 Express Boulevard, Center TX 75935, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Martin Weaver (here, next to this marker); John O. Moosberg (here, next to this marker); Malcolm S. Weaver (here, next to this marker); Luke (Jack) Motley, Jr. (here, next to this marker); Poultry Pioneers Plaza (a few steps from this marker); John Joseph Emmett Gibson (approx. one mile away); Shelby County Courthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Shelby County (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Center.
 
More about this marker. Marker is one of a group markers telling the stories of five pioneers in the Shelby County, Texas poultry industry
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Shelby County Texas Poultry Pioneers
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.