San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Courthouses of Hays County
When Hays County originated in 1848, its one public building was a log church-schoolhouse that had to serve as the courthouse, along with its other uses. Although the San Marcos townsite, platted in 1851, contained a court square donated to the county, the forfeiture of a $2,000.00 criminal bond later gave the county funds for building, and in 1861 officials employed contractor C. F. Millett to erect on the Square a 36 x 40-foot, 2-story frame courthouse with a hearing room, jury rooms, and 4 offices. That pine building burned in 1868, and county officials operated from rented quarters until a courthouse of soft, locally quarried limestone was completed in 1871. Damaged by earth shiftings, that 2-story, 45 x 53-foot building was razed (1881) and replaced by a 50 x 60-foot, 2-story building of harder limestone designed by F. E. Ruffini, architect for University of Texas buildings and for courthouses in several other counties. After that 1882-83 structure lost its top story in a fire on Feb. 28, 1908, it also was razed. The fourth and present courthouse, in eclectic style, was designed by C. H. Page & Brother, of Austin. Completed and accepted by the county court on Dec. 13, 1909, it has had interior alterations; it was restored in 1972.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 52.967′ N, 97° 56.456′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on North Guadalupe Street south of East Hopkins Street (State Highway 80), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on the west side of the Hays County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 East San Antonio Street, San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Triangle (within shouting distance of this marker); The Calaboose (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Coronal Institute (approx. 0.4 miles away); Post San Marcos (approx. 0.9 miles away); Wonder Cave (approx. one mile away); San Marcos Springs (approx. 1.1 miles away); Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. 3 miles away); Site of the First Town of San Marcos (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Also see . . .
1. Hays County Sheriff History.
Hays County was created on March 1, 1848 from the southern part of Travis County. It is named for legendary Texas Ranger Captain John “Jack” Coffee Hays. Captain Hays was known for his battles with the Mexican Army and his victories over the Comanche Indians, who called him “Bravo Too Much.” (Submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Courthouse Images for Hays County, Texas.
postcard images of Hays County 1882 and 1908 courthouses (Submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on December 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 8, 9. submitted on December 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.