Near Holton in Morgan County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Morgan County / Berkeley County
Berkeley County. Formed from Frederick in 1772. Named for Norborne Berkeley, Baron de Botetourt, governor of Virginia, 1768–1770. Home of many leaders in the Revolution. As early as 1774, George Washington had orchards planted here.
Erected 1978 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Location. 39° 35.82′ N, 78° 4.032′ W. Marker is near Holton, West Virginia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Martinsburg Road or Hedgesville Road (West Virginia Route 9) west of Rustic Tavern Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hedgesville WV 25427, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the Site of the Snyders Evangelical Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Big Pool Junction (approx. 3.3 miles away in Maryland); The National Road (approx. 3.3 miles away in Maryland); "Old Fort Frederick" (approx. 3.4 miles away in Maryland); “...to protect, preserve...and provide access thereto for the public.” (approx. 3.4 miles away in Maryland).
Regarding Morgan County / Berkeley County. Berkeley Springs is not in Berkeley County. It is in Morgan County.
Also see . . .
1. Morgan County History. (Submitted on June 9, 2007.)
2. History of Berkeley County, West Virginia. (Submitted on June 9, 2007.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 888 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.