Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche

Built 1915

 
 
Historic Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, October 31, 2017
1. Historic Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche Marker
Inscription. Mission Nombre de Dios featured a stone chapel of La Leche as early as 1702. That chapel was damaged and subsequently dismantled, rebuilt, and destroyed in 1728. Another reconstruction was undertaken in 1875 by Bishop Augustin Verot that was destroyed by a hurricane one year later. The small coquina stone chapel now located on this site is designed in the Mission Revival style with a stepped parapet wall and clay tile roof. Archaeological excavations on this property revealed potential evidence of the 1677 stone foundation of the first known stone chapel. This area holds significant religious and historical associations and archaeological research continues to provide information on the early settlement of St. Augustine.
 
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
 
Location. 29° 54.288′ N, 81° 18.913′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from Ocean Avenue 0.1 miles east of San Marco Avenue (Business U.S. 1), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27 Ocean Avenue, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Lady of La Leche (here, next to this marker); Mission Nombre de Dios
Historic Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, October 31, 2017
2. Historic Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche
The marker to the left reads:

Our Lady of La Leche
The present chapel is the fourth building on this foundation. Erected first by 1615 this Shrine of Our Lady fell victim three times – to war, pirates and storms. The last reconstruction began in 1918.

The devotion to Our Lady of La Leche honors the divine motherhood of Mary. The Spanish designation is Nuestra Señora de la Lecha y Buen Parto (Our Lady of the Milk and Happy Delivery).

This devotion to Mary as patroness of mothers and mothers-to-be was brought to Nombre de Dios from Spain in 1603.
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Great Cross (about 600 feet away); Saint Augustine (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Mission Nombre de Dios (about 700 feet away); First Spanish Muster Site in Florida (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); 33 Bernard Street (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  Our Lady of La Leche Shrine. (Submitted on December 8, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement