Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Villa Rica in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Mill

 
 
The Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 19, 2015
1. The Mill Marker
Inscription.
This Amphitheater is located on the site of what was once the heart of commerce in Villa Rica for more than 100 years.

By 1900, the two –block area to the east of here was developed by the Villa Rica Cotton Oil Mill, whose president was W. B. Chandler. The original brick buildings were first used as warehouses to store the cotton bales made at the cotton gin building, which was also on this site.

In 1902, The Villa Rica Electric Light and Power Company was incorporated and occupied part of the complex. It was soon followed by the ice plant and the Coca-Cola Bottling Plant. The first cola bottles used here had the name of the electric light company imprinted on them. A fertilizer plant was later added in 1908.

By 1927, this multi-business became the Villa Rica Manufacturing Company, adding a new hosiery mill component known as Rica Tex Mills. The last two major textile mills operating here were the Golden City Hosiery Mills and Vince Hosiery Mill, Inc. The two-acre property and buildings were sold in 2000 and became the home of Avanti Auto Manufacturing, Incorporated. In 2006, the site was purchased by the City of Villa Rica.

In the early deeds, the street area to the west of the mill complex was referred to
The Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 19, 2015
2. The Mill Marker
as ”The Public Square”. The old railroad depot was located about 150 feet down the track from the corner of this property and flanked one side of the “square” area.

With the Amphitheater as a new focal point of downtown, the old public square gathering point concept is once more a popular part of life in the City of Villa Rica.

 
Erected by City of Villa Rica, Georgia.
 
Location. 33° 43.888′ N, 84° 55.078′ W. Marker is in Villa Rica, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is at the intersection of North Carroll Road and East Church Street, on the right when traveling east on North Carroll Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Villa Rica GA 30180, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Andrew Dorsey (within shouting distance of this marker); Freedom Riders (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Villa Rica Explosion (about 500 feet away); Villa Rica's Textile Industry (about 500 feet away); Bank of Villa Rica (about 600 feet away); Thomas A. Dorsey (approx. half a mile away); Fullerville Jail (approx. one mile away); The Grove (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Villa Rica.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
The Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 19, 2015
3. The Mill Marker
The marker is to the right of the door to The Old Mill Amphitheater Ticket Office.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement