Haines in Baker County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
“The 1880's Park” in Haines
Railhead warehouses of the 1880's were town down in the 1990's and with salvaged materials the park project began.
With foresight and dedication, the people of Haines pay tribute to their history with is park.
Erected by City of Haines.
Location. 44° 54.72′ N, 117° 56.322′ W. Marker is in Haines, Oregon, in Baker County. Marker is on Front Street (La Grande-Baker Highway) near 4th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 810 Front Street, Haines OR 97833, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cattle Drives (a few steps from this marker); Chandler Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Baker Valley Rest Area Oregon Trail Kiosk (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Masonic Temple (approx. 10.6 miles away); Gwilliam Brothers Bakery (approx. 10.7 miles away); Basche-Sage Hardware Co. Building (approx. 10.7 miles away); Bishop Building (approx. 10.7 miles away); Baker Loan and Trust Building (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Haines.
Also see . . . Haines (town) -- The Oregon Encyclopedia. In the early 1900s, the booming economy of Haines earned it the title of the Biggest Little Town in Oregon. Although Astorian expedition leader Wilson Price Hunt and explorer John C. Frémont had traversed the area early in the nineteenth century, it was not until the mid-to-late century that miners and farmers began settling near present-day Haines. (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.